Saturday, January 3, 2009

Changing horses

I tried. I really did. I shot over 15 minutes of video of the spectacular New Years Eve fireworks here on Oahu (see previous post). But all of the sudden, our computer refused to talk to our camera anymore, and I couldn't get it posted to share (you really have to see it to believe it).

I guess computers have "dog years," too. After five and a half years of being a reliable workhorse, I suppose I can forgive the VAIO for starting to act goofy at the most inconvenient times. I spent New Year's Day trying to nurse it back to health, but it doesn't want to run in the fast lane anymore.

Just as a cranky old racehorse can get put out to pasture, so can a computer. We brought home a new one tonight -- 6 times the RAM, 10 times the hard disk space. (Insert geeky victory dance here.) This is the last blog post to be written on the old machine--as I type, I'm already pulling data off it to a portable drive. The mantle is passing hands...

Since there's still life left in the VAIO, just not for high-end apps like photo and video work, it's going to a not-so-quiet retirement as a gaming machine for the kids. THAT'LL teach it!

No comments: